Brum’s Worst Band Name

Note, not worst band. We like some of the bands listed.

You can be a great band and have an appalling name, or at least you can have hit records and have a shite name (Audio Bullys — sort the grammar out thickos) or have a good frontman and a guitar genius and have a shite name (The Tears — as it eye water leakage or ripping? sort it out). You can certainly come from New York and have a shite name, and that’s where we’ll be shamelessly half-inching this idea from.

“band names have only gotten more loathsome ever since we ran out of words back in 1993.”

Annually* BiNS in association with the The Big Paws will be launching the hunt to find the worst band name in Brum. The rule:

1. The band must actually play shows in the city. Anyone can name a bedroom project Private Lynndie England & The Ball-Pointer-Atters but it takes real nerve to actually book a show and put it on a flyer.

Here are some to think about:

Rase — decent indie pop, but can’t work out how to pronounce it, doesn’t mean anything… don’t think you’re allowed to make up your own words

The Graham Parsnip Liquidiser Torture Think-Tank (revival) — you’re funny, this screams *wacky*, we _get_ it, but we get bored typing it.

The Black Acid Band – using the word ‘acid’ doesn’t make you cool, you’ve got to use it in a cool sentence. Dull.

Tiny Cinema – every band is called ‘Cinema’ these days, at least it isn’t Bombay Tiny Cinema Club.

Nominate your housemate’s awful projects, your brother’s Oasis covers band called ‘Anorak’… no prises.

*if we remember

16 comments for “Brum’s Worst Band Name

1. Info
    3 July 2010 at 11:34 am

Friends of the Stars is a terrible name for a band

Cheers,
    Craig
    (Friends of the Stars)

2. 3 July 2010 at 1:35 pm

Hey there, Mafrocaribean from Graham Parsnip Liquidiser Torture Think-Tank (revival) here. Well done for getting our name right guys. You would not believe how many writers, promoters, policemen and farmers can't actually get it right. :) muchas saludas

3. 3 July 2010 at 1:57 pm

Mothertrucker, as good as they are, have a reeeeeeally crap name.

There was once a local band called “The Fucking Beatles”, that one stuck me as particularly bad.

There must be loads of contenders though. I'll have a think about this.

4. 3 July 2010 at 2:10 pm

Shady Bard (presumably a reference to that wandering minstrel who goes round the pubs selling knock-off DVDs)

Acres Of Ocean (using a nautical unit of measurement would obviously have just been too easy)

5. Andy
    4 July 2010 at 10:06 am

I always thought 'Morgue Orgy' had a certain awfulness to it.

6. Little Chris
    4 July 2010 at 8:17 pm

Aequanimitas, I mean how the hell are you supposed to say,remember,spell that one….not a bad sound though.

Metal Cross, you can guess what they sound like

Alcohol Licks

Thieves like us – pick a New Order track, just any one

The Jellybean Rebellion

Duller in Colour

I could go on for some time here………..

7. alexei
    6 July 2010 at 6:49 pm

i feel obliged to say johnny foreigner before anyone else does..

8. Joshd
    6 July 2010 at 11:45 pm

Ace Bushy Striptease – From what I've heard they're a great band though…

9. 14 July 2010 at 6:53 am

Youves (does Nuneaton count, because that’s one of the most appalling names I’ve heard for a long time).

10. 14 July 2010 at 6:53 am

11. 14 July 2010 at 6:53 am

12. 14 July 2010 at 6:53 am

13. 14 July 2010 at 6:53 am

14. 14 July 2010 at 6:53 am

15. 14 July 2010 at 8:53 am

Youves (does Nuneaton count, because that's one of the most appalling names I've heard for a long time).