Tennis Player Scratching Her Brum

I was watching a documentary on BBC Two fronted by Sue Perkins last night — what would the world of semi-serious middlebrow TV have done if she’d stayed working with Mel? — focusing on popular art. You know the sort of stuff that is popular rather than art for the most part. It covered the Green Lady, the airbrush-noir of Jack Vettriano, that sort of thing.

It eventually got to poster art and the most famous arse of the seventies (and no, not Malcolm McClaren):

The Tennis Girl - the most published photograph in the world. Photographer and copyright holder Martin Elliott. The Tennis Girl Poster

Photographer Martin Elliott was interviewed and I could detect a hint of Brum in his accent — some research later and we find that the photo was taken on Birmingham University’s tennis courts. Fiona Butler the model was from Stourport — but I think it’s a shot we can claim.

9 comments for “Tennis Player Scratching Her Brum

1. Anonymous
    17 November 2009 at 1:29 pm

I was led to believe this was shot at the tally ho in Edgbaston!I may be mistaken but didnt someone try to persuade the original model to doa reshoot about ten years ago. Its a great pic thats for sure.rnrnKeep Right On!

2. Anonymous