Birmingham – Reputation Vs. Reality

A documentary from Sarah Blythe about "how Britain's second city has struggled to shake off its outdated image." [link]

6 comments for “Birmingham – Reputation Vs. Reality

1. 8 April 2009 at 9:24 am

I think you’re right Kasper, both about the video and about the wider European view of the city – does this mean that our efforts to be seen as a European city are on the right lines (although obviously not working that well).

2. kasperbs
    8 April 2009 at 5:56 am

Interesting to see from an outsiders point of view. Though it does seem that the producers went into it with a little too much preconception. Although it's not clear from the video, I do think the words people choose to describe Birmingham came from a ready made list, which might have influenced their answers.

Coming from another country I had absolutely no idea about Birmingham's reputation before hand, except for the football clubs. I can understand why people might see it the way they do. I think Birmingham seems very modern but the Black Country area still seems very industrial to me, which might influence people opinion on the area as a whole.

3. kasperbs
    8 April 2009 at 3:42 pm

I don’t think the city’s reputation as described in the video by UK citizens are shared with the greater European Public, although I can only speak from my own observations.rnrnI think however, that most Europeans are not aware that Birmingham is indeed the second city. Personally I think if you asked Europeans to name another city apart from London, they would mention Manchester and Liverpool before Birmingham.rnrnSo in terms of wider recognition in the EU and the world, I think it’s more a question of getting Birmingham known in the first place, rather than focusing on washing away an image that is not there.

4. 8 April 2009 at 11:24 am

I think you're right Kasper, both about the video and about the wider European view of the city – does this mean that our efforts to be seen as a European city are on the right lines (although obviously not working that well).

5. kasperbs
    8 April 2009 at 5:42 pm

I don't think the city's reputation as described in the video by UK citizens are shared with the greater European Public, although I can only speak from my own observations.

So in terms of wider recognition in the EU and the world, I think it's more a question of getting Birmingham known in the first place, rather than focusing on washing away an image that is not there.

6. Nick
    8 August 2011 at 1:48 pm

It all comes down to football, if Birmingham City were as big as Manchester United people would have heard of Birmingham. I was recently in Italy and people there had not heard of Birmingham but had heard of Manchester, only through football – they knew nothing whatsoever about Manchester as a city.

That is why it is so important for Birmingham City to do well – Aston Villa are important too but do not carry the city’s name – most foreign people I’ve spoken to believe Villa is a London based team!!