Walk the dinosaur

I just wanted to share a little bit of image dyslexia I suffered from with the old Bull Ring. When I saw the sign on the over-road bit, I didn’t think ‘bull’.

Flickr Photo Download: Bull Ring Birmingham

I always thought it was a diplopocus, a big dinosaur. The bull’s tail was the huge herbivore’s head, I just didn’t make the connection between the “Bull Ring” and a pic/statue of a bull. I eventually realised, but like when I originally read “ROFL” as “ROLF” it’s not really possible to change it in my mind.

Now the sign has gone of course, I can’t readjust my head.

Untitled-1 @ 200% (Layer 2, RGB/8)

40 comments for “Walk the dinosaur

1. 31 July 2008 at 12:36 pm

You probably know this, but I’m afraid the Dino’s dead – no one thought to save the sign as a souvenir when they knocked down the old place. A builder managed to save a disjointed pair of legs from a skip, but that was the last of it. It was a story in a local rag, which I naturally can’t find on the internet now.

2. 31 July 2008 at 1:24 pm

I’m not surprised it’s been skipped. In fact it was so huge, it was probably smashed up al the building was taken down, and not even removed separately. Booo.

3. 1 August 2008 at 10:08 am

Yeah, I had a similar thing, I thought it was a tortoise for ages.

4. 3 August 2008 at 1:02 am

And thought I was the only one who thought it was a Brontosaurus, when I used to pass under it on the 50 bus from Maypole every morning.

5. 26 January 2009 at 11:07 pm

yeah i thought it was a dinosaur as well. did your parents have that natural history book with the fold out inside back cover with silhouettes of the evolutionary chain in too?

6. Anonymous
    28 December 2009 at 8:36 pm

oh my god i have belived for 30 odd years it was a tortoise till last night during a disscusion. my childhood memories are in tatters

7. Anonymous

37. Anonymous

38. Anonymous

39. hannahyeo
    28 December 2009 at 9:36 pm

40. Andy Ian Smith
    10 April 2012 at 6:31 pm

Thank god it wasn’t only me. I remember the moment on a bus when I realised I’d been wrong for years. I always wondered why there was a tortoise picture on the side of the Bull Ring Shopping Centre.