5 comments for “Google News goes local

1. 8 February 2008 at 2:48 am

Fantastic. Now, can we have a version without all the football stuff? It’s incredibly hard to filter out if you don’t know the names. Frexample:

Yeung wants Macca on board
    SkySports, UK - 11 hours ago
    By Graeme Bailey Last updated: 7th February 2008 Birmingham's leading shareholder Carson Yeung wants to install Steve McManaman as a director at St Andrews. ...

If it weren’t on SkySports I’d think this might actually be interesting. But no. It’s about football. And it’s even worse when you sort by date (are all these sites really “news” outlets?).

Football isn’t general news. It’s a specialist thing written in a specialist language. Get it the hell out of my news feeds please.

2. Andrew
    8 February 2008 at 11:16 pm

1) Please change this form, it’s horrible, very off-putting, it doesn’t look like a form, just some coloured boxes :-).
    2) Google have some work to do, clicked on the link and got some news from Belfast.
    3) I really like the blog mind. Have you considered organising a get-together for readers?
    4) Re-reading number 1) if you do number 3), I’m probably not invited. :-(

3. 9 February 2008 at 6:45 am

Aw Pete, learn to love the football – failing that try filtering “St Andrews” which should cop most stuff.

Anyone else dislike the comment form as much as Andrew? not really sure what the matter is.

4. 9 February 2008 at 2:01 pm

1) My screen isn’t very contrasty so I have a bit of trouble seeing where the boxes are. Finding the “Post Comment” button is always a challenge as I expect it to look like a button. A border around them would help no end.

2) Can’t say for sure with that one but I suspect it was news from Belfast that mentioned Birmingham along the way.

5. 9 February 2008 at 2:50 pm