Earthquake? Twitter knows best

Our house shook for a good 20 seconds at about 12:56am – windows and all. I was awake, but it woke the cats and my better half who were sleeping upstairs. It didn’t set any car alarms off, so I’m guessing no real damage done.

I twittered first, but Nick beat me to the blog. Without twitter I’d have thought I was going mad, Nick confirmed it “podnosh mine too. 6M Ago” and:
orangejon wonders if he’s hallucinating or if there was really just an earthquake. Either that or the house is falling down… 5M Ago”

I wonder how you measure where the epi-centre might be?

twittersearch for earthquake

11 comments for “Earthquake? Twitter knows best

1. 27 February 2008 at 1:17 am

First is not everything – right is everything. What I love is that it worked as a news service. It told me what I needed to know when I needed to know it – i.e. was i the only one who felt that?

2. Keith
    27 February 2008 at 1:20 am

It was strange, I was using my pc at the time and started shaking. I live in erdington and I hear my friend in Kingstanding had it before me.

Strange

3. 27 February 2008 at 1:24 am

Thought my mate was furiously masturbating…he’s a big guy. no pun intended.

4. 27 February 2008 at 1:30 am

The epicentre is here according to this site. Nearest towns are Lissington and Holton cum Beckering – which proves this is a collective dream – or a Two Ronnies sketch.

5. jay
    27 February 2008 at 2:08 am

me and the mrs was sitting watching tv, i started to hear creaks from one side of the room, and then the top corner in the other end, then after a few seconds of thinking we were being taken over by mice, the whole flat started shaking violently, we live in south Yardly Hey mills

6. joely
    27 February 2008 at 2:32 am

How did I not feel it? My mate lives round the corner from me and was chatting to me on msn and was like…did u feel that?? I was like what u on about ha

7. 27 February 2008 at 8:09 am

yup, as bounder’s “better half” I can confirm that I was indeed woken up in my bed which was shaking like a jelly and also by the sound of loose debris falling down the (no longer used) chimney. The cats seemed a bit nonplussed though, I thought animals were supposed to be more in tune with these things!

8. 27 February 2008 at 8:20 am

oh yeah, forgot to say also that this was pretty much the same experience I had as in 1984, when I was staying at my gran’s in Liverpool and was woken up by a shaking bed, think it was quite a bit later in the morning that time, it was light anyway from what I recall.

9. 30 April 2009 at 7:50 pm