The image of the pub landlord as a gruff figure-of-fun has been exploded by Brummies voting in their hundreds to make John Tighe – of The Spotted Dog – Birmingham: It’s Not Shit Brummie of the Year 2007
John triumphed in the last hours of voting, finally pulling ahead of Pete Ashton, by less than 20 votes. Voting closed at midnight on Saturday, but we’re only telling you now (although you are the first to know – feel good blog readers).
John has gained much press, praise and support over his stance against a noise abatement order served on his pub – home to music for over twenty years – following complaints from recently built apartments. His fight continues – and a campaign website is at keepdigbethvibrant.co.uk.
Third in the voting came gig promoters Capsule (Lisa Meyer & Jenny Moore), while Catherine O’Flynn – first time author having great success – was fourth. Here’s the full results.
Who's Brummie of The Year 2007?
- Pete Ashton (29%, 336 Votes)
- Lisa Meyer & Jenny Moore of Capsule (16%, 186 Votes)
- Carl Chinn (4%, 48 Votes)
- Condori : Big Chief Busks With Recorder (hats off to the buskers) (2%, 20 Votes)
- Soweto Kinch (4%, 44 Votes)
- Martin Mullaney (2%, 25 Votes)
- Catherine O’Flynn (12%, 133 Votes)
- Richard Pawley (1%, 10 Votes)
- John Tighe of The Spotted Dog (31%, 353 Votes)
Total Voters: 1,155