Had a great day at Moseley Folk Festival yesterday, here are some things I learned:
- The invention of wine glasses coming pre-filled and sealed at the top (so you could carry them in your pocket!) is a storming idea.
- The compère took laid-back to new levels of horizontalness. I don’t believe he managed to name one of the bands.
- Any place with a ‘pirate show’ is okay by me.
- Fairport Convention can be forgiven anything (karafolkie?) when they play ‘Matty Groves’.
- Andy Votel _is_ the DJ from The Archers (if The Archers had a DJ).
- Middle-class hippies are a breed apart. (Awww, don’t unplug that man’s guitar Tarquin, darling. Or mommy will be cross.).
- Simon Fowler is really good solo.
- Folk musicians drift between bands, even ones on the same line-up, with consummate ease.